It wasn’t until I took the job I have now that I realized how good I had it at my old job *sigh* I was so desperate to get out of Orlando & also get promoted (which I totally deserved) that I took the job I have now, and I gave up a lot of perks. Hindsight is 20/20 & while I love Mpls & being out of Florida…if I had to do it over again, I’d still be at my old job & making the best out of Orlando.
Now that I’ve learned not to take just any old job, I know that I don’t have much longer in Corporate America. My goal is to become an entrepreneur, but until that happens, I have to continue as a cog in the corporate wheel, but continuing in my current position is not an option. So I’m on the job hunt yet again. Not only do I want to get out of the lab & develop new skills, but there are some other things that I’m looking for the new job to offer.
So, five things my next job will allow me to do:
* Wear dresses/skirts to work – When I started working, I spent 100% of my time in a lab environment. My lab time is down to about 50-75% but that’s still a big chunk of my time. Being in the lab means I have to wear long pants, along with a lab coat, safety glasses & safety shoes. And I often get dirty or work with harsh chemicals, so I don’t wear nice clothes to work. I’d love to wear a skirt or dress to work, along with heels, because I’ve never done it before.
* Have an office with a door – Having a cubicle is a sign that you’re so completely unimportant. Like you don’t even have a full wall! You can’t do anything without your coworkers being all up in your biz. Cubicle life is a sad existence. Which is why I want an actual office – 4 walls with a door that I can close so folks can stay outta my biz & I can work in peace. It doesn’t have to have a window, but 4 walls & a door are an absolute must.
* Use my phone in my office – I really took for granted how important it is to use your phone at work. At my old job, I had my phone in my lab coat pocket all day & I was a tweeting, Gchatting, texting, BBm-ing, emailing fool all damn day. And then I got the job I have now, and I realized that I now sit in the basement of the building so I don’t get any kind of signal at all. Luckily my company policy allows access to Gmail, Twitter & FB, so I haven’t gone completely crazy. But I’m close. It’s a damn shame that I can’t use my phone during my work day.
* Telecommute and/or have a flex schedule – Since I am a chemist & I run laboratory instrumentation, it’s kind of hard to telecommute in my current role. Which is one of the many reasons why I want to transition to a new career, cause I’m tired of having to commute to work everyday. And working M-F? SUCKS! Especially when I used to work a 9/80 schedule at my old job so I had every other Friday off. I’m telling yall, I had no idea how many perks I would be giving up when I took this damn job….hindsight…Anyway, I need to have the option to either work from home, or have a flex schedule (9/80 or 4/10) or a combo of both. I’m so tired of going to work every damn day.
* Travel for work – I really miss traveling for work. At my old job (damn I’ve said that a lot huh?) I was on the university relations recruiting team, and I’d visit colleges doing career fairs & interviews. I also got to attend training courses at various facilities. So far, 16 months into the new gig, I have gone NOWHERE. I finally get to take my first two trips this summer, to Baltimore & Chicago. I wouldn’t want a job where I’m constantly on the road, but I hate being static, especially when I work for a company that is so global.
Damn…after typing all that, I don’t know how I even get out the bed & go to work everyday…my job sucks! I need a new one stat.
What are you looking for in your next job? What perks do you have now?